Notes on Formation of the
On September 8, 1960, President Dwight David Eisenhower formally
dedicated the George C. Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville,
Alabama, as a new field installation of the National Aeronautics
and Space Administration (NASA).
President Eisenhower addressed guests and employees of the new
NASA organization that had resulted from the Army transfer of
4,670 civil service employees and 1,840 acres of Redstone Arsenal
property and facilities worth $100 million. The new NASA center
was named for the late General George C. Marshall. Mrs. Marshall
was among those who joined the President at the dedication. Dr.
Wernher von Braun, who became the Center's first Director, also
The Marshall Center had been activated on July 1, 1960, as part
of NASA, which had been established on October 1, 1958, by Congressional
passage of the National Aeronautics and Space Act and charged
with conducting the Nation's space exploration programs. The nucleus
of NASA was the Advisory Committee for Aeronautics later named
the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA).